The hour-long premiere debuted on Tuesday, Jan. 10 at 9pm EST on MuchMusic and CTV. It will then settle into its regular time slot of Tuesdays at 9pm EST exclusively on Much beginning Jan. 17.
The L.A. Complex follows the lives of twenty-somethings living in the same apartment complex in L.A. trying to make it as actors, dancers, producers, and comedians. Relationships begin and end, the need to succeed is tested and all characters are pushed to their breaking points. Full of new relationships, salacious temptations and make-it-or-break-it decisions, The L.A. Complex's coming-of-age dwellers grapple with life's defining moments as they deal with the unreality of the show-biz industry.
Previously known as Highland Gardens, the story of young, aspiring performers going to Hollywood to pursue their dreams is a story similar with every young generation. Neil Staite, VP and General Manager for Music and Entertainment, Bell Media stated that "The L.A. Complex is a perfect series for MuchMusic, as its audience will not only connect with Martin’s strong and often provocative storylines, but also relate to the complex and engaging characters, fighting to achieve acceptance and stardom.”
Bell Media wanted to create an exciting, new Canadian drama that pushes the envelope to what kind of stories you can tell on television.
The L.A. Complex stars:
- Jonathan Patrick Moore as Connor, a handsome break-out from Australia with a dark past.
- Joe Dinicol as Nick, an aspiring stand-up comedian from Edmonton who always seems to be the best friend and not the boyfriend.
- Andra Fuller as Kaldrick, a succesful Hip-Hop artist from Oakland, California.
- Chelan Simmons as Alicia, an aspiring dancer from Regina who will do whatever she can to make ends meet.
- Cassie Steele as Abby, the naïve actress from Toronto who is ready to fight to get ot the top.
- Benjamin Charles Watson as Tariq, the talented Hip-Hop artist from Montreal, who has a secret of his own.
- Jewel Staite as Raquel, the street-smart from Halifax who is frightened of becoming yesterday's news.